Sign of a Failing Economy

October 13, 2008 on 1:59 pm | In Finance | 8 Comments

Four weeks ago I was hired as a reservation specialist for a major hotel firm.  This position required me to complete 7 weeks of on-site training after which, I would work part time from home as a reservation specialist.  (I would make or change hotel reservations).

Today was the beginning of our 4th week of training and next week we would have been put on the phones with live calls.

This afternoon, a mere 1 hour ago, our entire class of 26 was laid off.  The same happened to a class that began earlier in the day and the same will happen to the next 2 classes to come in today.  This lay off will affect over 80 people at this one location.  There are additional classes at locations around the country who are also being let go.

This is truly a sign of our economy.  People just aren’t traveling, whether it’s for business or personal, it’s not happening.

For now, the only thing I can do is hope that in January, I will get called back.  This really was going to be a great job and I hope I do hear back.  In the mean time, it’s going to be a very lean Christmas

8 Comments

1. Oh no….I’m so sorry to hear this. Wish you were closer to me, I could hire you through Christmas.

Lynn K.’s last blog post..WHAT???? No To-Do List?

Comment by Lynn K. — October 13, 2008 #

2. Oh no. That is so sad. Just when you were enjoying it and getting ready to work for them.

Karen’s last blog post..Tiguan is Hot

Comment by Karen — October 13, 2008 #

3. Thanks Lynn! I’d love to help you out!

Comment by Lynne — October 14, 2008 #

4. Thanks Karen. I’m hoping I’ll get a call back for rehire in January (if I don’t decide to do something else first!)

Comment by Lynne — October 14, 2008 #

5. That sucks. I hope the big bailouts the US and Europe passed really do help to stabilize things economically. That company better give you a call back in January!

Karen’s last blog post..Get Smudgy with Stila Kajal Eye Liners

Comment by Karen — October 15, 2008 #

6. Karen – I’d like to hope that the bailouts will be what this economy needs to start turning around, but I’m not so sure. Guess we’ll have to wait & see. I just hope we’re not waiting too long!

Comment by Lynne — October 15, 2008 #

7. I’m so sorry. That really stinks. I hope you get called back because it’s such a good fit for you. Big hugs, Sweetie.

Tammie’s last blog post..Good Eats!

Comment by Tammie — October 18, 2008 #

8. Thanks for the hugs Tammie, they’re much appreciated! I’m also hoping they call me back in January, it just really seemed to be a good job for me.

Comment by Lynne — October 18, 2008 #

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Entries and comments feeds. Valid XHTML and CSS. ^Top^ Powered by WordPress with jd-sunset-3c theme design by John Doe.